I agree with Marley K. that you need to get help for your mother, whether she wants it or not. Her legs may qualify her for a 5150 (involuntary hospitalization) because they prove that she is “a danger to herself.” Use those words when talking to the local Behavioral Health Dept., who will likely refer you to the police. Once she’s in the hospital, if you refuse to let her come home, a social worker must find housing for her. They aren’t supposed to put mental patients out on the street. Good luck to you and your daughter and mom. You all deserve better. Don’t think of the 5150 as a betrayal. It’s possible if your mom gets treatment, she will improve. In fact, it’s the only chance she has. ❤

Written by

Tree hugger. Tour guide. Top Writer. Feminist. Newly-baptized Bay swimmer. Editor of Fourth Wave. https://medium.com/fourth-wave

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store